You might think international exposure is far beyond your business’ reach. However, there might be low-hanging opportunities in the international space.
Let’s look at a recent example. Europe announced a “Digital Agenda” a few months back that essentially aims to increase the availability of high-speed broadband connection for all EU households. This agenda stems from the recession, and the EU’s determination to cut back reliance on financial services and stimulate business growth.
Despite this growing accessibility to the Internet, though, there is a disproportionate amount of Internet users versus online e-tailers. A recent visualization highlights this:
Click image to open full-size version (via Interxion).
Notice that in this “Digital Race” the UK is leading the pack in consumers purchasing goods online, at a whopping 79%. However, only 15% of businesses are actually selling goods online!
This means consumer demand is not being supplied, which could provide an opening for international business to slip through.
In sum, paying attention to the news and inefficiencies abroad could lead to business opportunities that will result in more customers, and a more prosperous business.
Adria Saracino is a marketer and blogger. She consults businesses on content and social strategy and works with independent bloggers, journalists, and websites on articles, contests, reviews, and more. When not connecting with interesting people on the web, you can find her eating out at one of Seattle’s amazing restaurants, exercising, or writing about style on her personal fashion blog, The Emerald Closet.
- Small Business Day Switzerland: The Launch. (entrepreneurshiphegfr.com)
- Which domain name ending should a business buy? (marketing.yell.com)
- Trading abroad can help small businesses grow, claims BIS (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
Latest posts by Adria Saracino (see all)
- Filing Your Businesses’ Taxes Solo This Year? Read This First! - January 17, 2013
- 5 Unexpected Roadblocks to Avoid During Business Travel - January 9, 2013
- Your Step-by-Step Guide to Google AdWords - October 17, 2012
- Improving Productivity – Getting a Handle on Meetings - September 18, 2012
- Using International Inefficiences to Easily Grow your Small Business - August 26, 2012